Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hoboken is the Birthplace of Baseball


Although this fact is often disputed, it doesn't stop me from telling non-Hobokenite friends and relatives that Hoboken IS the birthplace of baseball. And it isn't stopping Hoboken councilwoman Beth Mason from trying to bring baseball back to the mile square city. Recently, she hired architects to re-imagine the northwest corner of Hoboken and envisioned, among other things, a minor league baseball field and greater park space (the above picture is what it currently looks like). Although I am not sure if all of her plans seem realistic in the current economy, I applaud her thinking outside the box. Or in this case, thinking outside the boxes that make up blocks and blocks of square condos to the south of this site.
While I am on the issue of local politics, I want to wish Peter Cammarano, Hoboken's youngest mayor in history, and Dawn Zimmer, our new Council President, all the best. I hope they all can put politics aside and do what is best for our waterfront and the residents of our great town.

1 comment:

  1. Don't hold your breath on the politics, but it is a nice sentiment and shared by me.

    -Luke Sidewalker

    ReplyDelete