Saturday, July 25, 2009

From the Inside Looking Out





How quickly perspectives change. Yesterday I was on a ferry looking at kayakers, today I'll be a kayaker looking out for ferries.

Yesterday I took the ferry from 14th street to Wall Street to see friends who recently transplanted from Jersey to the financial district. My wife and I had a beautiful 30 minute trip traveling around southern Manhattan on a perfect evening. On the trip, we saw a group of kayakers crossing the Hudson. It is great seeing fellow boaters taking advantage of our underused waterfront.

Peter Cammarano has learned a thing or two about perspective changes as well. Just a few days ago, he was Hoboken's new young mayor. This morning, I walked past a hundred or so protesters in front of his Bloomfield Street home carrying signs demanding his resignation. Although I personally think these protests should be taking place at city hall, I cannot blame the citizens of our city for being angry and disappointed. For the record, he has stated he will not step down as mayor. How can he? He would be walking away from a six figure income- which will help pay much needed lawyer fees- and benefits for himself, his wife, and young daughter. What a mess.

I am waiting for the tides to shift before I head out again. I would suggest our mayor do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment