Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rule #7: Play!



Paddling is just one of many outdoor activities I love to do. Lately my free time has been filled away from the river, running trails. As an ex-cross country runner, when I feel autumn air, I am like Pavlov's dog- conditioned to put on running shoes. This year I took it a step further and am planning a few long distance races later this fall and next spring. For the really cold weather, I love to ski. (Get ready Mr. Hawthorne!) That said, this is my year to make the best of all of my rec. activities.

Recently I ran into a friend from college who shares my love for all things fun and outdoors. He looked different this year than last time I saw him. He told me that he is now in the best shape of his life. Mind you, he was a college gymnast. He explained that he started to change the way he eats and exercises. Instead of exercising like a maniac and filling himself with carbs afterward, he went "paleo". What is often referred to as the "caveman diet" he has totally shifted from a carb-heavy diet to eating only what our evolutionary ancestors ate- meats, root veggies, berries, nuts (agricultural products are limited). Before you start thinking that this is just another diet (ala atkins, south beach, etc.) understand that I was as skeptical as you are. I was a bio major in college and have been skeptical of most diets ever since. That said, my friend convinced me to try it for 3 weeks. I can tell you that after two, I am a believer. I eat more food than I did before I began the diet, am rarely, if ever, hungry, and, most importantly, I have more energy at the end of a work day to do what I enjoy- run, paddle, ski!

What I love most about going paleo is that it also shifts the way you workout. Instead of a seven mile runs at pace- it encourages shorter runs with sprints thrown in. And best of all it pushes rule number 7 - play! It encourages what most adults have forgotten- it is important to take time to play- to ski, to kayak, to have a pick-up game of whiffle ball- in place of treadmills and other boring gym workouts.

So go caveman! Play more! And if you are interested, check out www.marksdailyapple.com

1 comment:

  1. I'd be one of the ones not venturing off the roads in the National Parks. After all I don't want to be competing with wild bears for any loose change dropped by campers.

    -Luke Sidewalker

    ReplyDelete