Sunday, September 6, 2009

Capitalism, Conservationism, and Kayaking



What struck me most about channel 13's special on the Hudson River the other night was the roll the wealthy played in conserving the waterway. The likes of the Rockefellers and Harrimans were major players in buying and preserving land on the banks of the waterfront. It is an important reminder that capitalism and conservationism do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Harriman, in particular, shared the belief of many people today, that the Hudson should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. Unfortunately, boating in the Hudson is still a privilege of the rich. It doesn't have to be that way. Kayaking in the Hudson can be a relatively inexpensive way to access the river.

Out on the river, I have met many New Yorkers who buy expensive kayaks, spend hundreds yearly on storage, pay to belong to a club, and spend enormous sums to take group trips to places like sushi restaurants. But kayaking doesn't have to be expensive or elitist. In fact, I have spent exactly zero dollars this year paddling my boat. And my boat cost little more than a new bicycle three years ago.

Kayaking has changed the way I feel about the river. I used to be one of those people who believed the Hudson was too polluted and too busy to be enjoyed - it was something that should only be driven across or tunneled under. Today I feel differently. I can't help but think that if more people kayaked, preserving our great river would be easier. I wonder, if Harriman were alive today, would he build public boathouses?

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    We were wondering if we could use this entry as an opinion piece in Hoboken Progress, a free weekly newspaper that is distributed to homes in Hoboken.

    If so please contact us at editor@hobokenprogress.com.

    ReplyDelete