Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some Things Change, Some (Must) Stay the Same



The needed changes to the Hoboken Waterfront, especially near Stevens, are long overdue. I am excited that Stevens has decided to finally clean up their most expensive piece of real estate and, better yet, make the waterfront more accessible for residents. So far, they have removed the large experimental tower. I only hope that they don’t continue to build upon the old wooden pier structures. Above and below are a few pictures I took today of the area surrounding Steven’s waterfront. (The picture at the bottom was taken from the mural above.)


Last night I saw a show at Maxwells. Maxwells is one of many reasons I love living in the mile square city. It is one of those places that provides a pulse to the otherwise lifeless establishments of Hoboken. There are others, of course – D.C.’s, Louise and Jerry’s, Empire Coffee, the studios at Newman Leather, Grimaldi’s- to name a few. But last night was disappointing. Let’s face it, New Jersey has its reputations and stereotypes for a reason. And unfortunately, last night, those stereotypes were standing next to me at a sold out show. They were drunk, wore too much perfume, talked loudly, and wouldn’t shut their mouths for the entire show. I know that Hoboken has more than its fair share of these people, but I always thought they would keep to the establishments that cater to them – like the places that offer flipcup tournaments. I’d like to think that the places that made Hoboken a destination in the first place will continue to be patronized by those who appreciate them. And the rest can practice flip cup.








1 comment:

  1. Duuuude, flip cup is, like, totally awesome! Ha ha, hey, I was at that gig too, it totally rocked! I even scored with one of those chicks you couldn't keep away from, cool, right?

    I like the picture you painted at the bottom there; is that you in your boat?

    ReplyDelete